Monday, February 8, 2010

The Paci Fairy

Being a parent isn't always easy. But witnessing your child reach milestones makes it all worthwhile. Seeing your baby sit up, crawl, walk, talk...yes, those are pretty big. But, there are a few that are incredibly underrated: being old enough to get Mommy a new roll of toilet paper out of the closet in an...uh...emergency, learning how to put your own dirty dish in the sink (please pass this one on to Daddy), appreciating a variety of shoes to choose from...and, last, but CERTAINLY not least...getting rid of all pacifiers. Yes, folks, this is huge.

We are officially on Day 2 of being a Paci Free Family.

And we're exhausted.



So here's how it went down. We had every intention of Ben being Paci Free by his third birthday...and that came and went. We were down to 4 pacifiers--2 blue ones and 2 Shamu ones that were bought out of desperation on two separate trips to Sea World when we weren't able to find the aforementioned blue ones. Ben would sleep with ALL 4 clutched in his little hands every single night...forget the adorable monogrammed lamby that Chelle gave him at birth...these latex suckers were the only security blanket he needed. We honestly had no idea how to rid him of this habit. Let's face it--I had pretty much come to accept the fact that I would be taking him to get his driver's license and he would hand me the paci in order to be able to say "cheese!" for his picture.

And then Dana came to the rescue.

Over dinner and a bottle of wine, she introduced us to the Paci Fairy. (She'll give credit to the Super Nanny, but she's the super one if you ask me!) Apparently, this Paci Fairy comes at night, after the kids place their pacifiers in the mailbox and, in return, leaves a present. The used pacifiers then are taken to little babies all over the world who need a paci. (Thankfully, Ben was so preoccupied with visions of this Tinkerbell-ish fairy that he didn't question the hygeine of this theory.) We figured it was worth a shot.

Fast forward 2 weeks and Ben's got 6 Star Wars figurines and we're down to just one green and white paci. (I know, I know--I didn't list that one before, but he gave up the 2 Shamus and a blue one, then lost a blue one and somehow found a green and white one. Whatever--just stay with me.) Like a good friend, Ali stepped in and helped/made me dispose of the pacifiers at work...knowing that I may have a tantrum-induced state of weakness, causing me to dig a paci out of the trash for my own sanity. At this point, I have to give the kid credit--he totally gets that this is his last one and that if he gives this one away, he won't have any left. So he demonstrates his first act of procrastination. He keeps saying "I'll put this in the mailbox tomorrow, Mommy." This goes on for 3 days. I finally decide that since this is his last paci, and the last thing standing in his way of really becoming a Big Boy, this feat deserves an extra special reward.


Hiro the Train. (I have no idea how he knows about this train since he has only seen it on a flyer that came in another Thomas DVD, and as smart as I think he is, I'm pretty sure my little prodigy can't read yet.) Ben wants to add this to his extensive collection, so I figure this will be the perfect distraction...I mean, reward...for giving up his final paci. I bought it, had it wrapped and just waited until Ben was ready to take the plunge.

Yesterday afternoon--around 3:00pm--he was ready. For whatever reason, he figured the Paci Fairy could come in the middle of the day. Who says she can't? So, he placed his beloved paci in the mailbox and then waited. He checked a few times, and when he had to go to the bathroom, I ran out to the mailbox and made the switch. When he saw tissue paper and ribbon spilling out of the mailbox, he was so excited...and I was cautiously optimistic about our success. When he saw that his reward was Hiro, he said "I'm so happy!" and we were so proud of him...but knew the real test would come later, when the sun went down and he would want Ol' Green and White to help soothe him to sleep.

8:15pm. The Colts were still on track to beat the Saints...and Ben's in his PJs. Crying. Devestated...just like Peyton Manning would be in the near future. "I want my paci!" I tried reasoning with him...I tried encouraging him...I tried explaining that even though he didn't have his paci, he had an awesome new train!!! Who wouldn't want that?!?

He looks up at me, and hands me Hiro. "Here--put Hiro back in the mailbox and tell the Paci Fairy I will trade her."

Ah crap.

Short story long, he woke up twice, crying for his paci and was very upset this morning when he realized that it wasn't coming back. Getting ready this morning, I heard Brad talking to him in the living room and asking him why he didn't like Hiro anymore. After a minute, Ben said "I know that I like Hiro...I just don't like him right now."

So, here we are on Day 2. The last time he cried like this, he was 2 months old and trying to figure out how to sleep through the night...but he couldn't get out of the crib on his own then.

Oh well--sometimes as a parent, you have to be stronger than your child and do what you have to do...just knowing that this, too, shall pass.

4 comments:

  1. oh, poor sweet Ben. I can see your weakness. He is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh goodness. did i ruin your child?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, Dana--you didn't!! You helped us!! Night #2 update...he didn't even fuss when he went to bed!! He saved the crying for about 2am when he woke up and couldn't find it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, let's work on the My Little Pony watching. ;-)

    ReplyDelete