Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Now, I...had...the time of my life...

Have you ever done something that just made you think, "Yeah--I LOVE my life!"?

Now that I'm back in the real world, I've had some time to reflect back on my experiences at the Olympic Games up in Vancouver. I know I didn't have much time there--trust me, I wish I could have stayed for the whole thing--but what I was able to see and do will stick with me for the rest of my life. Of course, there are too many things to write here, and I don't want to bore you with all that, but I did narrow it down into some highlights and interesting tidbits:

1 - The streetlights in downtown blink green sometimes. I thought it was to warn you that they're getting ready to turn yellow, but I'm not sure about this. If anyone knows why this is, please enlighten me.

2 - Speaking of lights...a lot of people still have their Christmas lights up. I just chalked it up to celebrating the Olympics, but no--they just do that.

3 - Cool people I met: Summer Sanders - Olympic swimmer, Nickelodeon hostess; Andy - former Bachelor--the "Officer and a Gentleman" season; Chris Davenport - extreme skier; Suzy Chaffee - '68 Olympic skier; Prince Hubertus Von Hohenlohe - Mexican skier.



4 - This one deserved its own line...Alberto Tomba. Tomba la Bomba. Apparently, he's pretty much one of the best skiers in the world. Ever. And I had no clue who he was. We were walking to get a late night bite to eat and ran into a colleague, Roberto. An Italian guy was with him, he introduced us, and this guy started taking out postcards of himself and signing them for us. My first thought was, "Uh...who does he think he is?!" Well, after we had our picture taken with him and he kissed us each on the cheek, I was filled in on exactly who he was. (As if I didn't feel stupid enough, after telling my mom on the phone who I met, she squealed like a schoolgirl and asked if she could have a copy of his autograph to take to work. That's right--Mama even knew him.) So, in hindsight, I guess that was the coolest person I got to meet.



5 - Right up there with #4 is this...THE red mittens. (C'mon, now--did you think I would get up there and lose my sense of shopping?) I, along with half of the modern world, decided that these were my must-have souvenir...and I would be willing to roam the streets looking for these coveted hand-coverers. Much like a designer purse, the knock-offs simply wouldn't do. I was going with the real deal. They were sold out everywhere in the adult sizes--and trust me--I felt a little like O.J. trying to squeeze my man hands into a kiddie-sized pair. Heartbroken and downtrodden, I left the Olympic store...and there he was. Steve. Or was it Spencer? Who cares--he had Rubbermaid tubs full of mittens!! The real ones!! This genius had found the loophole--he was 'trading' mittens for pins...plus a charge of $15. Was it legal? I didn't care. What were they going to do? Deport me? I was leaving soon anyway. So, I sealed the deal and walked away with my prize...and it's a good thing that I have them now because it's colder back here in "sunny" Florida than it was up there. ;-) Along with my official US Team shirt by Nike and my Canada sweatshirt...I'm set.

6 - The energy was absolutely amazing. Fans and athletes alike filled the streets in Whistler Village, and just to be present in that atmosphere was an opportunity of a lifetime. The memories I have of the times spent with some great people are things I'll cherish forever.

I've heard it said before--the spirit of the Olympic games unites the world for 2 weeks in a friendly competition...and it's totally true. Swedes were high-fiving Jamaicans, Canucks were hugging Koreans...and for a brief moment in time, we're all cheering for each other to succeed.

Go world...go le monde!


No comments:

Post a Comment