Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Hey, Mister Postman...

As the parent of a constantly curious little boy, I am always surprised when he finds excitement in things that adults take for granted. Case in point: Mailboxes.

I know--I was just as baffled by this as you are.

I really had never thought about the concept of mailboxes. It seems like a pretty basic thing, right? I've known many types of mailboxes in my lifetime: from a custom-painted mailbox on a matching wooden post at the top of my parents' driveway to the communal mail station that every complex in America has to the vintage-looking metal mailbox attached to our house in Florida...I guess I've seen it all. But Ben hasn't. The only mailbox Ben knew was the latter--and I didn't really think it had made an impression on him. Sure, this was the depository for the Paci Fairy's gifts years ago (see previous blog), but other than that, Ben really had no need to familiarize himself with our mailbox. So, it genuinely floored me to see his confusion when we arrived at our house in Tennessee...and he asked, "Mommy? What is that stand at the end of our dwive-way?" He listened intently as I explained that, everyday, the mailman would drive up to our mailbox and leave mail...and then he asked if he could check for the mail. Little did I know that this would be the start of a routine.

Everyday since we have arrived, Ben gets excited to go get the mail. Rain or shine, people. Don't believe me? See for yourself.


(In case you can't tell, those are rainboots he's wearing and the only thing that keeps him inside is the fun-der.)

He got even more excited to know that the little red flag rises up when you have mail for the mailman to pick up...! He began to ask when he would get mail, so I told him that he could write letters to some friends and maybe they would write back--let's just say he's better at getting the mail out of the mailbox than he is at dictating letters...sorry, Girl Micah, Torun and Anooja--I had to improvise some. ;-) He was so thrilled to take his letters out to the mailbox and put the flag up...and then a few hours later...the flag was down!! YIPPEEE!!

It's refreshing sometimes when kids remind us that sometimes the truly simple things in life can bring excitement and joy...and I have to say that the surprise of receiving a sweet note from a friend in the mail (be it snail mail or virtual) is a pleasure at any age. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment