Saturday, January 23, 2010

Yesss, I Love Technology...

Log on to Facebook, and there's a good chance that one of your friends has become a fan of something. From "Thanks to Ed Hardy, I now recognize morons right away" to "Breathing Air" to "God"...there's something for everyone to like. As annoying as most of these are, one caught my attention..."When I was your age, we had to blow on the video games to make them work."

And I almost became a fan.

It got me to thinking about kids today, and the technology that is at their fingertips. (And then I thought of how old that makes me sound--even typing "kids today" ages me about 20 years.) It amazes me that I can hand my iPhone to Ben in the car and without a word, he has scrolled through 3 screens of apps to find the Tinker Bell game. Oops--I mean, uh, Star Wars Shootout.

It's crazy to me to think that my cousins who are in middle school and high school are taking their own iPhones to class with them. Teachers now are more worried about kids texting during lectures than passing folded up pieces of paper. You wanna know what I had in high school??

That's right. The Zach Morris cell phone. I eventually graduated to the Motorola StarTac, and then up to the Nokia--I was so super excited that they had a plastic Carolina blue case that could pop on to the front of it, and...what's this?! I can choose from different songs for when it rings?! Look out world, I'm an innovator.

But seriously...we have moved into a world where technology surrounds us...and our children. My dad's first laptop was a Compaq and it probably weighed about 15 pounds and the most exciting day EVER was when he figured out how to get that green pixelated Wheel of Fortune game on there. Ben can scroll on the Macbook and play Thomas the Train online and click 'print' and wirelessly put his computer art on paper. He plays tennis on the Wii and has become accustomed to having a seemingly infinite number of digital TV shows to choose from at any point in the day.

I'll admit--it's nice to have a library full of movies at my fingertips for when we're traveling. But sometimes, for a brief second, I get a little nostalgic and realize that kids today have no idea how good they have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment